Functional Reporting – Manager Technical
Position has responsibility for management and coordination of all Technical and Engineering activities on assigned design engineering and/or EPC projects.
Typical duties will include but not be limited to the preparation of the following:
- Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates assigned design/ engineering work; monitors work for compliance to applicable codes, accepted engineering practices, and Client standards.
- Ensures effective communication and coordination on assigned projects between all disciplines and all other project participants.
- Responsible and accountable to ensure that all assigned personnel are coordinating their activities with other project participants, and that the requirements of the Contract are being satisfied.
- Expected to be subject matter expert in at least one discipline and shall have sufficient overall knowledge of other disciplines.
- Not responsible to ensure the technical accuracy of specific design details in areas where not qualified. Expected, however, to have enough technical knowledge and awareness of details to be able to recognize when technical problems are developing in the various disciplines, and to initiate appropriate corrective actions.
- Responsible to ensure enough engineering resources have been allocated to perform the works and performs the weekly expediting meetings / or / technical problem-solving exercises with all disciplines on the project.
- While on EPC projects the Engineering Manager operationally may report to the Project Manager or Manager of projects, who has ultimate responsibility for both the quality of deliverables and effective execution of project assignments. On pure Engineering projects the Engineer Manager resumes the duties of the project manager or Projects Manager.
- On a large EPC project, the Project Manager may delegate certain project management responsibilities to the Engineering Manager, including day-to-day interaction with the Client’s designated technical representatives as well as coordination of all internal activities performed by Company Staff for Engineering, Procurement, and construction. However, the designated Project Manager retains overall accountability for relationship management and Client satisfaction on the project.
- Responsible for technical review, and co-ordination of all high value, and high technical content procurement packages.
- Responsible for preparation of technical bid evaluations, and vendor selection study reports for high value, high technical items.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Project Design engineering schedules and forecasts.
- Coordination and checking of engineering deliverables.
- Weekly engineering status reports and change orders log.
- Oversee the preparation of specialist study reports, and its co-ordination. Including activities like HAZOP, SAFOP, HAZID, SIL assessments, etc…
- Perform/Witness Factory acceptance tests for specialized packages.
- Responsible for planning, scheduling, conducting and coordinating the technical management aspects of projects.
- Accountable for the successful completion of engineering projects.
- Requires extensive regular contact with assigned project Clients.
- Assist in the preparation of engineering project proposals.
- Participating in Client/contractor meetings and resolving Client/engineering and management project issues.
- Ensure effective engineering and Client communications.
- In special occasions will be deputed to site, for technical management during commissioning stages of the specialist packages looked after during the engineering.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering (Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Chemical, etc.), and over ten years of experience with advanced knowledge, obtainable usually through a combination of experience and continuing education.
Disciplines of interaction
Skills and Special Requirements/Licensing:
- Process Engineering
- Piping/Pipeline Engineering
- Mechanical (Static/Rotating) Engineering
- Civil / Structural Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Instrument/Controls Engineering
- Loss Prevention engineering
- Telecommunication engineering
- Building services (MEP) Engineering.
• AutoCAD highly desirable.
• Process simulations, or Instrument calculation software is a plus.
• Experience in working with multiple discipline projects.
• Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Suite.
• Licensed engineer is preferred.